My daughter started working with Julie, using the Barton Reading & Spelling System, two days a week when 3rd grade began. She continued with Julie and the Barton System in 4th grade. She has become a great reader and the decoding skills Julie taught her continue to serve her well. She developed a love of reading as well as improved her reading comprehension skills. This makes our daughter very proud and improved her self-esteem.
- She only accept students she knows she can help
- She served 19 years in the public school system
- She offers a pre-Barton program if your child is not ready for Barton
- She gives a pre- assessment of reading using Fountas & Pinnell Benchmark Assessment System
- She consistently monitors progress using Fountas & Pinnell to ensure your child is making real growth
- She offers pre- and post-tests as your child progresses through the Barton Reading & Spelling System
Before becoming a dyslexia specialist, Julie often wondered how students entered her class being unable to read, and why some students hit a wall in 3rd grade and could not progress as readers? Usually, these children had already received ongoing reading intervention two–three days per week from a reading specialist since first grade. They were bright students, but made little or no progress. Why?
Nothing in her teacher training or professional development prepared her for the struggles these students experienced, and she was determined to find a way to help them …
As a teacher, Julie gets it
As a veteran 3rd-grade teacher, Julie understands the classroom accommodations students with dyslexia need. She also understands the concerns of students, parents, teachers, and administrators when working with students with dyslexia.
- Master’s Degree in Curriculum & Development
- Teaching Credential
- Certified GATE instructor
- Certified Barton Reading & Spelling Tutor
- Member International Dyslexia Association
What parents and educators are saying about Julie
I am familiar with Ms. Holcomb’s keen intellect and high level of passion for the identification and intervening remediation of students with reading challenges. Mrs. Holcomb facilitated my successful incorporation of the Barton Reading & Spelling System with my intervention program. This implementation has been an invaluable experience that directly influenced the development of phonemic awareness for struggling readers on my caseload, changing the trajectory of their academic careers.
Julie is professional, honest, and sincere in her approach with parents and the student. Upon completion of the screening, she provided me with a detailed and thorough report. This report assisted me in requesting accommodations for my son, which ultimately reduced his stress and anxiety over not being able to keep up with his peers. I recommend Julie Holcomb as a reading specialist and dyslexia assessor.